SEND Recovery & Rapid Transformation – Executive Interim
Hammond Clarke Executive have partnered with a Local Authority in West Yorkshire and require a SEND specialist responsible for delivering the new duties & SEND reformation agenda. The SEND Reforms took effect from April 2014 and signal the most significant change in over 30 years. The Local Authority is the lead organisation held to account for ensuring the delivery of the reforms and as such has a significant number of new statutory duties and legislative compliance requirements. The Local Authority is expected to have altered its systems, processes and practices in order to deliver all aspects of the reforms and for the majority of these to have been successfully implemented by March 2018. Bradford have been slow to deliver against all the requirements of the reforms. As a result, there is now an expectation that the Council takes rapid steps to deliver recovery at a significant pace. Nationally Ofsted intend to inspect all LAs under the SEND Framework by July 2019. Therefore we can expect an inspection on SEND in the next 9 months or less. Failure to demonstrate significant progress against the reform agenda will result in a negative outcome from the Ofsted inspection and could impact on the reputation of the Council and the wider District.
Creation of the SEND Transformation & Compliance Team:
When the SEND Reforms were implemented, LAs were encouraged to consider having a specialist team to drive forward the transition into the new duties. Given where the council is on its journey towards delivering the reforms, the creation of this team would be positively viewed by Ofsted and the DfE.
The team will need to be in place for at least 2-3 years and will consist of 4 people:
Strategic SEND Reform & Compliance Manager (to provide oversight and partnership engagement & challenge for the SEND reforms)
2x SEND Delivery Officers (to coordinate the key deliverables for the SEND reforms)
SEND Partnership Officer (administrates & coordinates the SEND Board and associated work-streams)
The outcomes delivered by this specialist team will be:
• Clarity on the remit, function & governance arrangements for the SEND Strategic Partnership Board, along with a coordinated approach on the remit and role of associated task & finish groups
• Engagement and co-production on the SEND agenda with parent forums and C&YP with SEND
• Key partners, namely the CCG, parent/carers schools and the LA are fully aware of their duties and challenge where there are gaps in delivery
• Creation of an overarching SEND strategy across education, health and social care that has been co-produced and widely shared with parents/carers and C&YP
• Ensure the District is fully self-aware of progress and risks to delivery via an appropriate self evaluation system
• Preparedness for the SEND Inspection and to be the SPOC
Please introduce yourself with just a few details and one of our Executive Consultants will be in touch.
We look forward to hearing from you.